Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The winner...

     I will announce the winner of the title contest on Friday. I have to finish counting the email votes. I have been busy with home-school stuff. We start back next week and yesterday I found the most AWESOME math books in the world. Totally awesome, tremendous, most wonderful math books. WOO-HOO! I'll say that again: WOO-HOO! *happy dance* 

    Oops, sorry. But I still can't believe how TOTALLY happy I feel at having found these books.

    On to the post for today. Yep, I do have one. :)

    Do we need social media? What say all of you?

     I think we do. My reasoning for my quick response is this: (it was quick, you'll just have to believe me.)

     A. Connecting with other writers, agents, editors=learning as much as we can about the publishing world.

     B. When that GLORIOUS day arrives and we have our baby (BESTSELLER) in our hands, we think book sales. A lot of authors have blogged about how many sales come from social media connections or folks that heard about their books from social media sites.

     C.  Uh, my pal Tess recently joined Facebook. WHOA!  http://tesshilmo.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make-book-trailer-1.html#comments;) BTW, she's doing a month post on book trailers. Pop over. LEARN.

     Which is better? Facebook, Twitter, Stumbleupon, LinkedIn? Or are they all about the same? I am on Twitter and Facebook. My blog is where I most like to connect, but Facebook is faster.

      Do these sites take up too much of your time? Promise yourself to only spend x amount of time on them. The writing is THE most important thing. And why connect if you're not writing? What say all of you?

      Short post, but sometimes shorter is better.

15 comments:

  1. You tricked me, lol. I wanted to see who won!!! Sneakysneaky. Yes these sites take up too much of my time, but I'm sort of addicted. I mean, I write, too, but could probably write more idf I didn't use these other sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, I knew you'd fall for my trickery. hehe Anyway, I am trying to LIMIT MY FACEBOOK/Twitter time. *sigh* But the writing has to come before those things. But they are important. Just NOT as important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn..its good to see you back..you haven't blogged for quite a few days. Yes these sites take a lot of our writing time, but I am sure that everyone enjoys these interactions. I am trying to curb my Facebook time. I enjoy my blogging buddies and as I am not on Twitter can't say anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up for twitter and facebook, but I find that I don't go there very often, so I mostly blog, and sometimes check those other sites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only blog and do FB, although I don't do much with FB. I prefer my blog. I do agree, however, that social media is becoming increasingly important. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the link, pal. I did sign up for Facebook but suck rocks at keeping it updated. I'm learning, I guess...it's a slow process.

    And, you're excited about MATH books? that is so far out of my realm...to be excited about Math anything. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use networking as breaks between serious writing times. It works sooo well for me~!!!

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on facebook, blogger, and twitter. I enjoy Twitter for it's fast way to connect. I learn the most on blogger. Facebook sort of gets pushed off to the side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Social networking is important, but like you said the writing should come first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blog + Twitter + FaceBook = Negative time in the 24-hour cycle. Must keep a fine balance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Social networking is important, but in the right balance. I can get off balance, spending too much time hopping around and keeping up, and getting little writing done. Still looking to find the right balance; I think the key for me is more self discipline:) I'm currently blogging, on Facebook, and LinkedIn.

    And hey, I can totally relate to the finding the math book thing!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really should be writing right now...but I'm not feeling up to it so I'm blogging instead. This may be good or bad depending on how you look at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like my blog the best for connecting, but facebook works best for me to have conversations with people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, math books! uhm, not sure if i liked any math books EVER in my life haha that same feeling i only feel when i go to Booksale and i found the books that im looking for, which wasn't easy to spot, sometimes id go back 10 times and then whoaa i found it! it's like finding a treasure in a room full of books!

    ok let me see about social networking, you writers should have at least 2 sites youre working on. i follow my favorites and it helps me (as a reader) to connect to my fellow readers too!

    for the book reviewers - me i have two blogs, blogger and in multiply. i also use my FB to post my blog posts there and it works just fine. thats my way of sharing to my friends the great great books that im reading.

    oh thanks for stopping by my blog. i love children books i love to read to my son, 4yo, looking forward to reading one of your books soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So far I haven't ventured past blogging. It takes up enough of my time as it is. Besides I adore blogging as a means of staying connected.

    Twitter...maybe one day:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)