Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Please Welcome J.C. Martin

Join me in welcoming fellow writer, J.C.Martin. She is here to talk about her inspiration for the anthology, Stories for Sendai. 

J.C. thanks for being here. Talk on, my friend.


I’m really grateful for Robyn for allowing me to hijack her blog for the tour! Today’s post is about my inspiration for the anthology.
The last natural disaster that really struck close to home for me was the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004, when an earthquake in the Indian Ocean spawned a massive tsunami that devastated the coasts of pretty much every country in southeast Asia. Having spent the first eighteen years of my life in Malaysia, and with family and friends still living there, the tsunami affected me on a deep, personal level. Although everyone I knew were fortunately spared, there were beaches I frequented as a child that were hit by the tidal waves, and I was overwhelmed by extent and reach of the tsunami, which affected places as far away as Maldives, Seychelles and Tanzania off the African coast!
When the Boxing Day earthquake and tsunami struck, I was still a cash-strapped student living thousands of miles away in London. I felt powerless to help. Although I gave what I could for charity, I felt my efforts were as insignificant as a drop in the ocean.
When the magnitude 9.1 earthquake hit off the coasts of Japan on March 11th, spawning a massive tsunami that swamped the Japanese coastline, the swathe of devastation was a haunting re-creation of the disaster in southeast Asia seven years ago.
Sure, this event didn’t hit as close to home as the last one, but it was close enough: shockwaves from Japan reached the eastern shores of Malaysia. This time though, I felt in a better position to help: I’ve just begun to pursue my writing career seriously, and I’m in the midst of building a modest online platform. So instead of trying to act as an individual, why not try and rally aid from my fellow bloggers worldwide? 
With that in mind, and following in the wake of charity anthologies like Tales for Canterbury and 100 Stories for Queensland, Stories for Sendai was born. And with your help, we could really try and make a difference! By buying a copy of Stories for Sendai, you’ll not only be donating to a worthwhile cause (all proceeds from the anthology will be donated to Global Giving, a project which disburses funds to aid and rescue efforts on the ground that needs it most), you’ll also be getting a wonderfully designed book with 20 uplifting and inspirational stories about the strength of the human spirit! 
Thanks J.C. hugs and more hugs for making a difference. My copy arrives on Thursday. I can't wait to sit down a spell and immerse myself in these uplifting stories.

Please join me in supporting this worthwhile cause. Linkage for buying your copy/copies follows.  Thank you all for helping out. YEAH! :-)


25 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. Thanks for featuring J.C., Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, MacNish! It's a fabulous way to victims of natural disasters. J.C. rocks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn..this is such a wonderful idea. We all should support J.C Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to give. Thanks for hosting JC, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just waiting for it to be available in Canada. Such a noble cause. Thanks Robyn and J.C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a wonderful way to help a very worthy cause.
    Good luck J.C. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rachna. Let's all support Stories for Sendai. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patti, we gotta make it available up your, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine, I know. That book needs to be available for all our Canadian pals. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul, it is, my friend, it is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful idea! Thanks, J,C. for sharing the background on the book. :) And thanks, Amigo Robyn, for hosting J.C.!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi guys, thanks so much for your kind words and support! Robyn, hope you enjoy your copy when you get it! :) Why not email us your receipt to be in the running for prizes in a prize draw we're having? :)

    Oh, and the print version is available in Canada.

    http://www.amazon.ca/Stories-Sendai-Anthology/dp/1463574215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309902328&sr=8-1

    Still waiting for it to be ready in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got it, amigo! Isn't it a super idea? (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. J.C., thanks for letting the Canadian friends know about it being available in print. I will let them all know about this. And I will email you my receipt. I heart prizes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's good to know a little more about J.C. and her worthwhile project. I do want to support it. Just a matter now to decide whether I want the Kindle format or the print version.

    Kudos to J.C. and her fellow writers for this massive effort and thanks to Robyn for hosting and helping to get the word out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robyn, thanks for having JC tell us the inspiration behind the charity. Whatever happens in the world, is important to all of us.

    I'm ordering my copy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent sharing of J.C.'s project and book. I wish her the best in her continued efforts to make a difference.

    Thank you for hosting J. C. Martin's, Stories for Sendai.

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure you can't wait to get your hands on it and read it. Hugs and have a super week! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've gotten my Kindle version but am now waiting for it to be available in print on Amazon UK so I can buy LOADS to hawk to my friends!

    Thank you to those buying a copy! Yes, do make sure to email us your receipt! We have lots of prizes to give away!

    ReplyDelete
  20. JC is doing it for such a great cause! Thanks for hosting her, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing idea! I applaud J.C. for her efforts and heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have my Kindle copy.

    I initially bought it simply because I saw it on a blog, but the story behind it touches my heart.

    Thanks, Robyn and J.C.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! Just been wondering... How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)