Friday, June 15, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday, y'all. Two for the price of one!

Hairy Maclary's Bone Written and illustrated by Lynley Dodd        
Tricycle Press (June 4, 2001)
Suitable for:
Ages 4 and up
Theme:
Big and small, etc. and overcoming obstacles.
Opening:
Down in the town
by the butcher's shop door,
sat Hairy Maclary
from Donaldson's Dairy.
Out of the door
came Samuel Stone.
He gave Hairy Maclary
his tastiest
bone.
Synopsis:
Simple story, lovely illustrations, beautiful, easy to remember rhyme, repetition. The kids will have this book memorized. You need to read the first Hairy book (He meets the other dogs in this one.) first. That way you know all the characters. It is called Hairy Maclary From Donaldson's Dairy.
Why I loved it:
These books are so simple. I should have put ages 2 and up. Yes, two year-old children can understand these precious stories. The illustrations jump right off the page. The dog names are so funny too. Shnitzel von Krumm with a very low tum, Hercules Morse as big as a horse, you get the picture. :-)
Resources:
Hairy Maclary's one more or less game
Children can make Hairy Maclary badges, stickers, and finger puppets here.
Please visit the beautiful Susanna Leonard Hill for more wonderful picture book stories.

And...
Snutt the Ift Written and illustrated by Helen Ward    
Little Pickle Press; 1ST edition (2011)
Suitable for:
Ages 4 and up
Theme:
Friendship
Synopsis: (From Amazon)
Two explorers from different worlds discover the wonders of a strange new planet. Soon each becomes lonely. When they finally meet each other, they discover something even more wondrous-that friends help us blossom and shared experiences make all the world more beautiful.
Why I loved it:
What's not to love? Huge double spread illustrations that are absolutely beautiful! The text is equally beautiful with  like  sticky-footed flewimols and blossiblums just to name two. As Snuft looks at the beautiful world around him, he cannot even do his measuring and recording he's so in awe. To me it teaches us to look for the loveliness around us. It's there. Just look. 
Resources:
Since this book is about two courageous explorers I have two wonderful links for you to check out: Explorers and teacher resources for explorers.
Head over to Little Pickle Press and sign up for the newsletter. You'll automatically be entered in a contest to win the grand prize of nine Little Pickle Press books including their two foreign-language titles. And check out all their beautiful award winning books while you're signing up.
Check out more super duper picture books over at Susanna Leonard Hill's place.
Perfect Picture Book Friday will be back in September. Have a beautiful weekend. :-)*Waving* xoxo

33 comments:

  1. Great choices!! I'm loving the opening to the first story. I can totally see little ones remembering it into adulthood. ;D (There are a few PBs from childhood that I still know by heart. Is that bad? lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheri! Me too. Maybe that means the authors did their jobs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized thanks to Sheri's comment that I did NOT post the opening to Snutt the Ift. *sigh* I am not home with my Snutt either. Just know it has beautiful language and lovely illustration tucked inside those two covers. Life must be getting to me these days. Apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading the name Hairy Maclary put a smile on my face!
    Snutt the Ift sounds wonderful too.

    I'm gonna miss your PBFs; I hope the sun shines on your summer and I'll see you in September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I know the publisher of that second book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish my kids were picture book age. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is that second cover?! I wish I had someone to read picture books to... guess I'll have to borrow my little cousin sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I read the linky title, on Susanna's site, I thought, "This is going to be some book!" Then I realized it was too books. They both look great, Robyn. I especially love the planetary explorers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these both look like great books featuring unique characters. Thanks, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The title in itself is catchy and intriguing!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Robyn for introducing me to two great picture books. Btw..whats the word count for them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is very unique and I love it. Will have to check it out for my granddaughter. Many of your suggestions have ended up as gifts. It looks beautifully illustrated! Love te cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got chills when I read about Snuft the Uft. I love Little Pickle Press. Although Hairy Maclarey sounds cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What awesome picture books Robyn!

    I just LOVE the illustrations. I am toying with the idea of writing/ illustrating my first picture book soon. It scares me a bit, but I am excited about trying something new.

    It's been AGES since we talked. I hope all is well with you.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE Hairy Maclary!!! And the other one looks good too :) Lovely wonderful awesome choices - can't wait to add them to our list :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The unique terms in Snutt the Ift make it definitely a Beth book. I must see if I can find it!

    Thanks! (The first one sounds delightful, too, but Snutt really spoke to me...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your PB posts! It brings to light so many good books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Robyn .. great "what's not to like" .. also wonderful words to create imagination in the minds of little ones, as well as getting their tongues round the names .. fun

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are spoiling us! I love everything I read from Little Pickle Press! And I love Hairy McClary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Snutt the Ift looks beautiful! Thanks for the recommendations and links :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes, my library does not have Snutt! Illustrations look beautiful, will keep searching!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a wonderful title with cute pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both these books look really good! I want to read them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both these books sound wonderful! Wonderful titles and cute pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are wonderful choices, Robyn! And I especially love the illustrations in Snuff the Ift, though they are both lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to read both books. I always read about the most charming picture books when I come to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aww, these both sound so nice. Makes me wish my kiddo was still reading picture books!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sweet - both of them. I'll have to get them for my nieces and nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Robyn...2 for the price of 1...we must have been very good this week. :)
    Wonderful stories...I agree with you about the age range...2 year olds LOVE to listen to picture books...they may not always understand every word or concept...but they love the language, illustrations and closeness to the person reading the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Two more books to read to my niece?

    Awesome, thanks Robyn.

    Riya.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like two winners, thanks, amigo! I need to write these titles down and pick them up for my grandson.

    Hope you are hanging in there. Sending love and hugs your way.

    xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for stopping by and supporting me in the Star Wars thing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These books look awesome! I haven't heard of either of them- but I look forward to checking them out.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)