Friday, February 3, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday

Artist to Artist

Eric Carle and 22 other major illustrators

Philomel; First edition (September 25, 2007) 

Suitable For:
ages 1 and up 


Theme/Topic: 
Picture book art


Opening:
Mitsumasa Anno: "I believe that the culture that is part of your being from childhood is of great importance." 

Synopsis:
In this remarkable and beautiful anthology featuring the likes of Maurice Sendak, Robert Sabuda, Rosemary Wells, and Eric Carle, twenty-three of the most honored and beloved artists in children’s literature talk informally to children—sharing secrets about their art and how they began their adventures into illustration. Fold-out pages featuring photographs of their early work, their studios and materials, as well as sketches and finished art create an exuberant feast for the eye that will attract both children and adults.

Self-portraits of each illustrator crown this important anthology that celebrates the artists and the art of the picture book. An event book for the ages.
Proceeds from the book will benefit the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, MA.


Why I loved it:
These artists each describe their artful process in their own way. It shows these kidlets that the pictures that fill their books can be considered art just as much as any painting that may grace their living room walls. This book is inspiring and enlightening. Foldout pages show examples of each artist's early work, their studios and materials, finished work and a self-portrait. 




Links To Resources:
I don't know of any, but the fact that this book encourages children to draw and express themselves through art is enough of a resource for me. 


Before y'all go and grab your crayons, go check out all the other picture books over at Susanna Leonard Hill's blog okay?


Thanks for reading. Happy weekend! *waving*

31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry about that. I had a typo and I HATE typos! But I LOVE your book choice. It looks super interesting and I think my class would love it. I'm off to the library to see if they have it. Thank you for sharing!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is so awesome! It's more than awesome. It's extra awesome. The kids really understand that their picture books have honest to goodness art in them. Hope you find it. *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn, I would love to read/look at this book, what a wonderful tribute to these artists and their art. Sounds like a book for all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great concept. As I build a PB library for my boys, I see it more and more as their personal art collection -- and this will need to have a prominent place in it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book. I love the illustrations in picture books. They are just as important as the words. Illustrators have such talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanna, this is a great book for all ages. The kids really do need to think more about the art that is in their books and this great book shows them how important their art is. :-) *smiling*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee, You're welcome! And make sure to always remember it IS their personal art collection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, the illustrators are artists. *green with envy* I make stick people and animals when I'm story-boarding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super choice Robyn! Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds perfect for kids. Nothing like a hands-on experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore kid's books about artists and their work. Just added it to my list. Thanks Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great concept for kids, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great book. I wish I had younger kids to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book looks wonderful, Robyn! I so love the idea that it's illustrators kids are familiar with, talking about art in a way that kids might not be familiar with. Fantastic resource in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What I wonderful picture book. I wish I'd had it when my kids were little. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Robyn, this would be a book that would catch my eye. Thank you for sharing this beautiful book that showcases the artwork of such illustrious artists. What an inspiring book for young kids -- and encouragement to pick up their crayons and create. Love your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I may be old fashioned but for me books and art are a far better way for children to spend their time than computer games and tv.
    I hope the writing is going well, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How is it that I hadn't even heard of this book? I don't think I'll be able to wait for the library for this one - putting it on the purchase list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love picture book art. Sounds like a great book to read to the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm looking this one up. My children and I spent hours looking at children's book illustrations. Thank you!

    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The book sounds like its own educational resource. I wish I could draw. We'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really a cool book! I have never seen one like it. One of the things I like most about picture books is the art in them! Thank you for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh! I have to see this book. It sounds unique and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, Robyn. What an awesome book that will encourage many children to consider art/illustration as a goal in life and others to just enjoy drawing. And I want this book for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like perfect books to give as gifts to small children! Thanks for posting Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, this book has gone right to the top of my must buy list. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for posting about this amazing picture book. Looking forward to checking out your links for more.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This book looks wonderful, Robyn! I know so little about the artist side of picture books. I would love to read this! And it sounds like it would be very inspiring to kids! Thanks so much for sharing (and sorry I'm only getting here three days late!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds like a terrific book. I'm sending this post to a friend who is an artist, a mom, and a home-schooler. I think she'll want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)