Friday, January 27, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday :-)

Merry as a Cricket With Pocketful of Chocolate
written by Lynn Kelley (yes, our Lynn Kelley!), illustrated by Judy Jarrett
Fiction, Whippersnapper Books, 2000

Suitable For:
ages 5 and up

Theme/Topic: 
Faith, friendship, and caring.

Opening:
It was that time of year again, time for St. Anne's parish carnival. Father Leong, the new associate pastor, arrived the day before the big event.
"What can I do to help?" he asked Mrs. Warner, the Director of Religious Education.
"Oh, Father," Mrs. Warner answered, "why don't you just mingle with the flock. The people want to get to know you."
"Hmmm," Father Leong mused, smiling and rubbing
his chin.

Synopsis: 
Liddy Bennett discovers why Mr. Demski, the church grump, is so mean and grouchy; he's in mourning for his wife. At the church carnival, a clown and some friends help him find joy and happiness in the midst of his sadness.

Why I loved it:
This book teaches kids to look for reasons why people may seem unhappy on the inside. It teaches caring and true friendship. It also shows us that not everything is as it seems. There is a surprise twist at the end of Merry as a Cricket. The writing is fun and inspired, the illustrations are creative and playful.

There is a picture dictionary in the back of the book.

For more picture books visit Susanna Leonard Hill and click around to all the Perfect Picture Book Friday posts.

I won't be here Monday. I'll be writing my heart out. See you next Friday! Smooch!!!!!!!!!!

23 comments:

  1. Looks like a cute book. Best of luck Lynn Kelley! I'm so happy to see her book here.

    Happy weekend, Lynn and Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be a cute Christmas gift since the title sounds holiday-ish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the joys of parenthood is being able to relive the magic of children's books.
    Thanks for another recommendation Robyn, Lynn's book sounds like it would be ideal for some of my younger family members.

    Have a productive week my friend, I'll see you next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that theme, especially about recognizing people who are unhappy on the inside.

    Have a great weekend Robyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robyn..I am falling in love with these picture books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very important message for kids - that someone's behavior on the outside doesn't always match what they are on the inside. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Important message and I am wondering about the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awh how nice to cheer up the grumps, great book! Sometimes kids are grumpy too you could have fun with this one, teaching them to be happy all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful, Robyn. I am always telling my kids not to judge people harshly on the basis of their mood - you never know what might be going on in their day and you owe them kindness and the benefit of the doubt. I love that there is a picture book that speaks to just this. Thanks so much for adding this title to our list! :) And congrats on winning Michael's book - don't forget to email me and tell me which one you want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robyn, what a lovely selection with such an important message for kids. Until you've walked in someone else's shoes, it's best not to judge. Great for our PPBF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds perfect for my daughter who loves to ask many "why" questions about people...being she's only four years old. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's always a grouch and typically a reason for it. Thanks for sharing this book. Good luck on Monday. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good book for kids. We all have our good and bad days and are grouches sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Robyn, I'm so honored that you featured my book! And all these wonderful comments, too! Okay, I have no reason to be a grump! I better be the one cheering them up! LOL! You are such an awesome friend.

    Thank you, Theresa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This books sounds great. I love the message for kids. Thanks for adding it to the PPBF list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a good one. Thanks for the info, amigo! I may make you my personal picture book shopper.:)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the themes in this book. Happy Heart writing! I made brownies this weekend. Here's one for you. I make my own frosting. mm.mm.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  18. Robyn...Congratulations on winning Michael's book. :)
    What an awesome selection...I love the message...and kids will love it also...they are so perceptive about how people are REALLY feeling...I think they are more observant of subtle facial cues and body language.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seems like a wonderful picture book. Thanks for highlighting, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful lesson for kids to learn - thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Robyn .. sounds like an excellent book and ideal to get children thinking about others' emotions ..

    I'd like to get this sometime and perhaps others of Lynn's books ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)