Thursday, March 8, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday :-)

This week I'm doing a shout out to a NC writer. (Since I live here.) Uh, yeah.

Three Hens and a Peacock A 2012 Children's Choice Book Award Finalist. Yay!

Written by LESTER L. LAMINACK illustrated by Henry Cole    

Peachtree Publishers (March 1, 2011) 

Suitable For:                                    

Ages 5 and up

 

Theme/Topic: 

Wanting what others have, everyone has a job to do and every job is important.

 

 

Opening:

Things were quiet on the Tuckers' farm.

The cows chewed their cud.

The hens clucked and pecked

and laid their eggs.

The old hound stretched out on the porch, watching and listening.

Once in a while someone would stop to buy tomatoes or corn,

perhaps a quart of milk.

Nothing unusual happens there.

Until...

that peacock showed up.


Synopsis: (From Amazon)

Nothing unusual ever happened on the Tuckers farm. Until the day that peacock showed up...

When a glamorous visitor lands unexpectedly in their midst and begins attracting customers, three hardworking hens protest:

How come we do all the hard work and he gets all the attention?

To keep the peace, the wise old hound dog suggests a swap. The hens and the peacock soon find out that others jobs aren t always as easy as they seem.

What will happen when three gussied-up hens spend the day prancing and parading at passing cars? And will that peacock ever figure out how to lay an egg?


Why I loved it:

This book is absolutely charming. It will inspire thoughtful discussions because it teaches that every single job is important. Kids can have fun and learn important lessons while reading this book. The illustrations are funny and facial expressions in the animals hilarious. But it is for ages five and up. You simply MUST read this book! You must, I say!


Resource linkage:

Great peacock folded fan and links to other resources: Brimful Curiosities



Head over to my pal Susanna Leonard Hill's house to see more favorite picture books that I know you will love to read. 

 

Happy weekend! *waving*

 

 

33 comments:

  1. Once again, it sounds like you've introduced me to another winner! Thanks amigo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it sounds super! Going on my TBP list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that recently, it's fab! Great minds think alike lol. Have a super weekend Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like a great book! I like how it shows that everyone has a job to do and it is important. I'll check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the message. One day while on a playground with our son, we overheard two older girls wanting to pretend play. One mentioned being a farmer and the other girl said "farmers are dumb." I guess she thinks food is grown at the grocery store. Love the peacock. Have a great North Carolina day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover! This is added to my library list. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another charming book. Thanks Robyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds, humorous, colorful and inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robyn, a wondeful selection. Sounds very funny and has a nice message for kids. Love peacocks! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds delightful. will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw...great spotlight! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peacocks are such beautiful creatures, and my kids are fascinated by them. This one sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a fun story - I can just imagine those chickens strutting around the farm! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just from the cover illo alone, I'm hooked. After reading your review, I have to find find this book! It sounds like a fun read. Thanks for adding it the list!

    *waves back*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds beautiful. We look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Robyn!
    I always thought that girl peacocks should have been cuter...

    Fun post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this review and can imagine what the hens get up to...lol. Sounds very funny, great for kids and a great message in their. Thanks Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea of the peacock and the hens trading places. People are like that also...the grass always seems greener on the other side, but when we get there, we realize that it is not.
    I will check out the site with the paper fan...sounds wonderful!
    Went to Nutschell's blog and read your interview...gotta love Black Beauty...I didn't know it was written to improve the care of horses.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book sounds like a LOT of fun! I will have to add it to my 47 mile long list for the library :) Thanks so much for sharing this one, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Henry Cole's illustrations! I'm in NC, too! You going to SCBWI in September?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Robyn .. sounds just wonderful - I'd love to read it - let alone any kids! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Former Children's Librarian here. What a clever idea. Visiting from A-Z Challenge. Looking forward to see your input.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love peacocks! Working with the "grass is greener" theme, I imagine this would be a great book for kids, and perhaps adults too. Like me when I'm folding laundry- again. Great choice.
    A2ZMommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like a fantastic book. I'm picturing the peacock and gussied up hens.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for this recommendation Robyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like a fun book! I'll have to look it up and give it a read. Hey, I just checked my critique group on CBI and it seems we are in the same group!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing about this. It looks cute and seems to be one my grandkids would like!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like a delightful read. Thanks for introducing this book to us.

    You have won the Kreatif and Sunshine awards. Please go to http://clarbojahn.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/won-the-kreatif-and-sunshine-awards/
    to pick them up.
    Congrats,
    Clar

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like you've found another winner here. I love the theme, and the cover illustration is great!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)