Friday, March 30, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday :-)

Waddle!: A Scanimation Picture Book
Written by Rufus Butler Seder
Workman Publishing Company; Brdbk edition (October 1, 2009)
 Rufus Butler Seder is the inventor of Lifetiles, glass-tiled murals that appear to come to life when the viewer walks by; he's installed them at the Smithsonian, Sea World, Union Station, and other museums, aquariums, train stations, and ocean liners around the world. He is also the founder of EyeThink, Inc., a company that develops and produces a line of toys and gifts using the technologies he's invented.
Suitable For:
Ages 2 and up
Theme/Topic: 
Color and movement
Opening:
Can you waddle like a penguin?
slip-slide-swoop!
Can you hop like a frog?
flip-flop-floop!
Synopsis:
It's Waddle! And it's in color. And boy, is it irresistible. In the same way that kids can't read Gallop! without wanting to gallop around the room, Waddle!, an animals-in-motion Scanimation book, will inspire prancing, hopping, stomping, and scampering. And did we mention color? Created by the optical genius behind the phenomenal #1 and #2 New York Times bestselling children's books, Gallop! and Swing!, Waddle! adds touches of color to the images and integrates it into the text. That prancing pig is pink, the leaping dolphin is blue, the slithering snake yellow. The Scanimation itself is also more lifelike, as the author continues to refine his patented Scanimation process, resulting in a more fluid, realistic motion. Nothing else compares. Waddle! teaches color and movement. Its language is a joy, the rhymes inspiring, the animals full of life. And one more thing: Waddle! has a surprise ending. Something else to grab the reader—literally.
Why I loved it:
The movement is beautiful. Irresistible really. The technology is awesome. The book is short enough for little attention spans. 
Resource:
I could not find any resources, but colors, self play, and animal movements are all taught in this delightful little book. Here's a link to info on scanimation though.
Check out Susanna Leonard Hill for many more wonderful picture books.
Happy weekend and Sunday is April Fools Day and the A to Z challenge begins! Gentlemen and women! Start your engines!  :-)

26 comments:

  1. Hi Robyn .. hope you're continuing to feeling better - what a fun book and I'd love to buy it (as others)and donate it to the local hospice .. one day I shall do that small thing ..

    Fun book though .. and the Lifetiles sound a great idea .. there are so many fantastic inventions around, and clever artistic entrepreneurs/artists ...

    Love this thought - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book in stores. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short enough for little attention spans, I'm going to love it then lol.

    This sounds brilliant and reminds me of a puzzle at playgroup where the picture changed so much you couldn't tell which piece went where.

    I didn't know you were not feeling well sweetie, take it easy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These books agreat great and fun to look at! Great choice. I liked the article on scanimation you linked to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These books are so cool and lots of fun for young readers! Great choice this week, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books that promote movement. This one sure sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a couple of these scanimation books. My son is very partial to the Star Wars one right now. :-) They are great, and this is a perfect choice for PPBF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rufus is obviously very talented and I definitely subscribe to his theory that "children are sponges". The more good things they are exposed to the more inquisitive they become.
    I hope Waddle finds an audience, it certainly deserves to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We'll have to check this one out so we can get moving. Ah, I still haven't been able to find my photo for my letter A post. I'd better get busy! Despite my best planning efforts, I still only have half the alphabet complete. April will be a busy, busy month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it's been a while since I've been here. Another great review. My daughter would love this book strictly for the penguin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea Rufus Butler Seder has another one. These are such fun books. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another interesting book to add to my list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first time I am hearing of scanimation books. Sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks cute!!!

    PS YOu won a book on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Robyn, this is my first introduction to Scanamation. Brilliant idea. I read the website and everything I could view. Love the story of Waddle. Are the books primarily for the little ones. Would a 6-year-old enjo the book? Great PPB entry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When my kids were toddlers they loved Gallop!, which was his first book with scanimation. Love the actions words he uses. Thanks for adding this to PPBF.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have this book and it's so much fun!!! The way the animals move is incredible and so cool.
    I'll see you in the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a really cool book! Thanks for adding it to the list. I will keep a look out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not heard of this book before. It sounds like a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute book! My nephew loves penguins, though at seven he may be a little old for this one :) That's all right though. I'll definitely get this for my future kids.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like a lot of fun. Thank you!

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the opening rhyme, it is so cute! thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have Gallop! and I've wondered how it works. Thanks for the link to Scanimotion. I'm going to check this out. I'm also curious to see this book too since it sounds like it is a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This book sounds awesome.

    ---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Robyn! I've seen Gallop! a few times in the stores, and it looks very appealing to the little ones. I better start looking at scanimation picture books for they sound like a treat to me. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)