Friday, January 13, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday

I have joined the gang in Susanna Leonard Hill's Perfect Picture Book Fridays and I am living the dream as I write and read picture books.

The picture book I have chosen might make you wonder how it was even accepted for publication. I mean the title:
I'd Really Like to Eat a Child
written by Sylviane Donnio, illustrated by Dorothee De Monfreid    
Fiction, Random House, April 2007
This book was originally published in France. It is hilarious! 

Theme/Topic:
Animal croc safety/ (Having trouble with this one.)
Opening:
Every morning, Mama Crocodile would bring tasty bananas
to little Achilles for his breakfast , and each time she said in
wonder, "What a big boy you are getting to be, my son! And
how handsome! And what beautiful teeth you have!"

Synopsis:
Little Achilles is tired of eating bananas for breakfast. Mama Crocodile was very worried until he tells her he wants to eat a child for breakfast. Mama tells him that children don't grow on banana trees, only bananas do.That's when Papa brings him a sausage as huge as a truck. But Achilles says, "No thanks Dad."
Achilles finally meets a child who is just right for eating. The story is a full circle book That's all I'll say. You have to read the book to find out if he really gobbles up the kid. This book is funny and kids love it. The illustrations are simple but wonderful and the sentences are short and snappy.

Links to resources:
I have not been able to find any. But there are a lot of animal safety games you could play with the kidlets to teach them about being kind to animals.

Need more picture books for the itty-bitty ones? Click the linky above and you'll find a fantastic list of them.

Friday the 13th? Yikes! :-) Have a great day. Smooch!

42 comments:

  1. Great review Robyn. Now I want to find out if the croc gobbles up the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too need to know who/what gets eaten in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the title and the story. Sounds just my kind of a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti, nomnomnom! :-) It is so funny and the illustrations are simple, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex, The title made me want to grab the book up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanna, sooo funny and it does make a full circle! *hint*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachna, it's a great read. The kind that makes little ones ask for you to read it over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MacNish, it is! I won't say what happens when he meets the little girl, but it is too funny! The illustrations are simple, which I love. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay just the title of this book cracks me up. Add this one to the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Children make juicy morsels for big crocodiles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. It looks positively adorable! LOVE the review, bff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie, it is so lovable. And Achilles is precious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael, Bwa ha ha, yes they do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bff, it is adorable. And the kids are not afraid of Achilles. They love him! *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds hilarious! I had trouble with the theme on my pick too--for similar reasons!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the title. Yes, we're together on the theme thing. I'll have to read it and let you know. This is a good exercise for our own writing I think. Glad you joined the "gang."

    ReplyDelete
  17. No fair stopping. I wanted to know the ending if it comes for circle. Sounds like a funny book for kids. Great reveiw!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hilarious! The title alone made me click over! My seven year old would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The title itself is making me giggle. I need to share this one with some fun-lovin' kids.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you joined in Robyn! And this book looks like a fun one! I'm guessing maybe the croc doesn't end up eating the child, but I'd sure love to know how it ends - I guess I'll have to go find it and read it! We'll have to think up some resources, I guess. Maybe some of our teacher readers will have a suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed this review, Robyn. Never heard of this book, either, so doubly appreciate it. :)
    Happy weekend, amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coleen, themes are troublesome, aren't they? This book is made of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stacy! I'm glad I joined too. There are so many awesome picture books, aren't there? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much Patricia! The ending is so fitting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Natalie, your seven year old would absolutely love this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary, Achilles is a fun character. He'll make you laugh. I wish I'd written this book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Susanna, you will have to go and read it to discover the ending. *smiling* I would love to know what the teachers say about the resources. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Karen, this book is awesome, amigo! When I first saw the title I had to do a double take. One page in and I was giggling my head off. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  29. I will have to check this one out. Curious to read the story now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I read this a couple of weeks ago! So...I can tell y'all what happens...but I won't :•) Nice choice, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think that "not getting what you want" would be a good topic! ;) Can't wait to see/read what happens!
    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lol! Love it without having read it. Now I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome review Robyn! And the title...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds like an awesome book. I hope it doesn't get grisly. Now I'm wondering if he eats the child or not.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the title and the explanation that children don't grow on banana trees. I have to read this book- it sound hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  36. My kids are out of the picture book stage, but this looks like a cute one. Maybe I should start putting together a library for my grandchildren (you know, the ones I will have many, many, many years from now). :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh I love the look on that crocodile's face. I have to get this, it sounds great. So glad you joined PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Robyn I had to come back and tell you that we picked this up at the library, based on your suggestion, and have not put it down. My son loves it.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)