Friday, January 20, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday

The Pea in Peanut Butter 
written by Allyn M. Stotz, illustrated by Valerie Bouthyette 
Fiction, FutureWord Publishing, May 2011 (coloring book edition pubbed Nov. 2011). 
For ages 3-6

Theme/Topic:
Teaches good eating habits to picky eaters
Besides introducing the color of different foods, teachers can/should use the book to expose all of the great  reasons to eat these nutritional foods.

Opening:
I love the super duper, gummy yummy,
sticky lickin', and belly rubbin' taste of
peanut butter.
If Mommy would let me I'd spread it on hotdogs,
fish sticks,  chips and pancakes.
I'd eat it on bananas, grapes, apples, and frosted flakes. "Can I have more peanut butter, Mommy?"
Mommy shook her head.  "No more peanut butter 
until you learn to like other foods."


Synopsis:
Kailee loves peanut butter. A bedtime snack turns into a dance party with all of the foods in the kitchen pantry when they come to life. This story teaches young children 3 - 6 yrs. about the various healthy foods.

Why I loved it:
The illustrations pop right off the page, the story does too. Kailee is your typical little gal who knows what she wants to eat and that is peanut butter. :-)

Links To Resources:
The Pea in Peanut Butter Coloring Book Edition

For other picture book suggestions visit the brainchild of Picture Book Friday Susanna Leonard Hill 
Visit all the blogs, will ya? Happy weekend. And don't forget to come back Monday for my review of Victoria Simcox's next MG novel, The Black Shard. *hint* You gotta buy this book! :-) 

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a cute idea. I love peanut butter, so I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book we could've used when my son was younger! For a long time he only wanted to eat bread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an annoyingly picky eater who drove my mother (and now my husband) nuts, I have doubts that this book could make me eat fish or carrots! Luckily, my boys seem to eat just about everything so far, so hopefully that will last. If not, this sounds like a good cure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like a fun way to tempt those picky eaters into a little more variety! Another peanut butter fan here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of a book I read when I was a kid where the mc liked peanut butter so much that she wanted it at every meal, but eventually she gets tired of it and tries other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have got to read this story! I wrote a very similar one (which has NOT been published!!!) called Amanda jean, Peanut Butter Queen. So I'm very interested to see this book. Sound very fun. And this is the first picky-eater book we've gotten. Excellent choice! Thanks Robyn. HAGW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Susanna, I have a story that has a theme of healthy eating, so I'll for sure check this book out. And my son is such a picky eater. Any and all resources on the subject are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like this book! What a great way to teach kids about other food groups. But, it sound like a funny book that kids would have a ball with. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Peanut butter and I fell in love with this Picture Book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was hooked from the title. My kids and I love books about food. Hopefully this will inspire my picky eater to eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a cute book. Thanks for the heads up on it!
    Happy weekend, amigo,
    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book looks really cute! My oldest son is a picky eater to the "nth degree." I have read him similar stories, and although he may find them funny, he seldom is inspired enough to try more foods! Maybe I'll have to try this one with him?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fun looking book. I don't think I would put it on fish sticks. I was more of a mustard lover when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book looks adorable, from the text to the illustrations. I can so relate to this story. We go through PB at our house so fast! Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my absolute sweetness! This so so cute. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like such a cute book. And the cover illustration is a delight. I love peanut butter, too. Although probably not as much as Kailee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was such a picky eater as a kid -- I wonder if a book like this would have helped?

    Sounds like a great, and fun, book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMGoodness that sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Peanut Butter especially the crunchy sort...... well any sort really! This book would be right up my ally.... for me...lol.
    Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book sounds adorable. I used to eat pb everyday until I got sick of it, but this reminds me of that time.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)