Friday, April 24, 2009

Are Twitter, FaceBook and all the other social networking sites stealing away your time. Your precious writing time? A writer I know said they are like vampires, only instead of sucking your blood, they suck away the hours, minutes, and seconds of your time. Time better spent writing and rewriting. Is this happening to you?

I was wondering because, I won't let it happen to me. I only get on those sites when I've finished my writing or I'm on a much needed break.

How many people fritter away their time on those sites? That could be hazardous to your writing health. I can see wanting to connect with other writers because writing is so solitary, we all need other people, especially people like ourselves. People that write. And those sites can be a way to link up. But don't let it interfere with the job at hand. :)

7 comments:

  1. There seems to be a theme today on time wasting! I do waste time on facebook and youtube. But, I wasted time before I knew about either of those things. I've decided that it's partly my nature. My brain just wants to turn off every once in awhile. Other times, I'll just want to write for ten hours a day. Wasting time is definitely bad, but sometimes I don't fight it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input Davin! I'm not a time waster but the older I get the more I want to be riding my horses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually use blogs, twitter, and facebook as a way to prep my mind for writing. I start with my blog--a post about writing, typically--and then I check out what every one else is doing. It gets me in the mood ;)

    ...that said, I do sometimes let everything drain away my writing time. Usually when I'm dreading writing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Beth. I'm trying not to let these (vampires) suck my blood! :)They can be good, like everything else in moderation! Except coffee and chocolate, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I just posted about how blogger takes away my time, LOL. I'm hoping to rebalance and prioritize effectively. Great post and ideas. It's important to remember that good things can be bad if there's too much of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree Lady Glamis! I refuse to let these things wear at my time with God, family and writing! At the same time, I treasure the time spent with my new writing friends! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)