Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I read a good post today from agent Jenny Bent. She was talking about the benefits of younger agents versus older agents. And what she said has totally changed my mind on this topic. As she said, younger agents can sell your book, too. They are willing to take more chances. They're ambitious, and they don't know as much about certain things as the older agents do. That makes them more willing to take a chance on a pre-pubbed writer such as myself. Older agents have a lot to offer, too. They know folks! Publishers, editors and those folks that we writers need for them to know. And if they're really good, they mentor the younger agents when they need it.

I guess what I am saying here is, it doesn't matter about age. Just like in life. There are advantages to both. I'll query 'em all. All of them that rep books like I am writing. Well, not all, but at least, hmm, twenty five of them. :) I'll work hard at this, because it is my DREAM, to sit down, with a cup of coffee, and read MY book! Oh yeah! :)

12 comments:

  1. I read this post too and I really liked it. May all of your dreams come true! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOO! I can feel it's getting close! Thanks, yours too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point. Often times you'll find that the younger agents make big deals--including Jenny Bent's earlier deals. Once they make the big deals, they suddenly become the "experienced" agent of the moment, so they don't seem so young anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that you have different advantages with younger verses older agnets and as a writer you have to decide what you want for you.

    Personally, I think that I'd rather work with a younger agent just because I'm only in my mid/late 20's. I think that they can sell books regardless of age and I'd rather have someone that I have more in common with. Also, I only want to deal with agents that work via email. That might be limiting me to mostly younger agents by default, but I don't know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to have confidence in an agent -- age doesn't matter but some level of experience does, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Davin, You're right, when you say after they make a few big deals then they become the experienced agent which makes them seem older, too. :)

    Lauren, I want to work with agents that accept email queries too. Just because, it's FASTER! :)

    Tess, experience does stand for something. Do you think younger agents would be more willing to go all out? I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That post was a real eye opener. I like how she outlined that there are pros and cons to both. I think the most important thing, more important than age, is the fact that they fall in love with your book and HAVE to sell it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to find this post. Thanks for alerting me to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the information, it's good to know. I'm going to read that post also. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's scary putting your work in the hands of someone you've never met and asking them to sell it to publishers--It's so difficult to mentally prepare for, and you can't like-interrogate the agents like u could an employee...This info was very helpful!! Gracias!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think more people need to realize the great agents they are missing out on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pen Pen, You're welcome and you're right. It is difficult! Thanks! :)

    Shelli, There are some great agents and just because they're young, that doesn't mean they can't get the job done, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)