Friday, February 17, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday :-)

Children Make Terrible Pets

Written and illustrated by Peter Brown

Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (September 7, 2010)

 

Suitable For:     

Ages 4 and up           


Theme/Topic: 

First pet


Opening:

La La La

One morning, Lucy was practicing her twirls

when she noticed she was being watched.

Hello? Who's there?

I can smell you behind those bushes, so just come on out!

Squeak!

When her secret admirer scurried into the open, Lucy could not 

believe her eyes.

Oh! My! Gosh! 

You are the cutest critter in the whole forest!

Squeak!

So Lucy brought the critter home to show her mom.

MOM! Look what I found outside! I call him Squeaker because he makes funny sounds.

Squeak!

See, isn't he the cutest? 

Can I keep him, PLEASE?

 

Synopsis (from Amazon)
Check out this rollicking, humorous, and heartwarming twist on the classic "first pet" story about a young bear and her favorite pet boy!

When Lucy, a young bear, discovers a boy in the woods, she's absolutely delighted. She brings him home and begs her mom to let her keep him, even though her mom warns, "Children make terrible pets." But mom relents, and Lucy gets to name her new pet Squeaker.

Through a series of hilarious and surprising scenes, readers can join Lucy and Squeaker on their day of fun and decide for themselves whether or not children really do make terrible pets.

 

Why I loved it:

Oh my! I loved it because it is sooo funny. It is one of those books that you can read over and over and over and over again! 

 

Lucy finds out that children are really hard to potty train. Uh, did I mention she uses a litter box? :-)  This book is just plain clever! The dialogue is shown in speech bubbles, hand lettered by the author/illustrator, while the narration is placed in rectangular boxes. Can I say, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

 

Resource linkage:

Teaches why we can't/shouldn't befriend wild animals. This is a great discussion piece on wildlife. Go here for great ideas 

 

Please go and visit that bodacious, coon lovin' writer pal, Susanna Leonard Hill. Her blog is almost as awesome as she is. :-)

40 comments:

  1. We have this book at home. My kids absolutely love the humor and role reversal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn,
    Love this book! What an awesome choice...will have to pick up a copy and bring it to NH when I go there in April to spend a week with my little grandson...he will be tickled with the idea of the boy being the pet of the bear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn .. it sounds like a great book - and a fun review .. I think I'd have liked to have read this as a kid - and just might do now .. good for everyone to look at things in a different light ..

    Cheers Hilary

    I'm popping over to Susanna's blog to have a look ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book seems SUPER super funny! The title is hillarious! Great PPBF pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this book! Can't tell you how many times I have read just for fun....and to study Peter Brown's genius structure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need to get my hands on a copy of this book. It has had so many rave reviews too, I know I would love it. Love role reversals like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this book in the bookstore, but have never picked up -- now I shall have to! It sounds like such fun! And your activity suggestion is such a good follow-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awh Robyn, that is all kinds of awesome. What a neat idea! I can't wait to my furry paws on it ;) Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so adore this book! So much so that when I did a recent school visit I used it as a great example of character development. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a very unique picture book, which is what the publishers say they want. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of this book. Role reversal must make for a great and hilarious read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good reviews about the Book, will read it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I totally want this book now! GREAT review, Robyn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this book - such a great idea and so well done! Thanks for adding it to our list. I can't imagine any child not liking this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like such a great idea. I'll have to bring it up at my critique group because there's a few people who write PB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have seen this book and we have some other Peter Brown books at home. The story sounds hysterical- I'll have to pick it up. Love the litter box!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a creative book. It sounds very funny. Like the role reversal idea. Great selection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The title alone is a scene stealer. The authors cleverly creative writing gives kids the opportunity to see life from a different perspective. I must look for this book I think my little nephews will benefit from this great book. Well done for a great find thanks Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun! I used to love to read picture books. I need to get into that again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know this one at all. Considering the outpouring of love for it in the comments, I'm clearly missing out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. This sounds funny. Maybe I could pick up potty training tips. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this book. The title is a winner and the concept so fun! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This book reminds me of a saying at our vet's office. It's something like, "Pet are welcome. Unattended children will be given a cappuccino and a free puppy." Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great choice, love a book with a humorous twist! I think my younger boys would really enjoy the role reversal theme. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree this is an absolutely fabulous book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait to pick this book up! I love PB's with humor! :D

    Thanks for adding it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Peter Brown's art. That Lucy is just too adorable. Great pick, Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Sounds an awesome book. I'm sure my three year old GD would love to be read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds really cute! Need to check this one out. :)
    Hugs and blessings, amigo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds an awesome book for my niece! Will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds like a fun book. I like how it uses role reversal.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds such a fun and wonderful book! Thanks Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was won over by the title alone - sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks great. My kids are bigger, now, but I still want to buy picture books, especially humorous ones.
    Loved your latest posts.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ohhh.... I want to see the illustrations now!!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note! :)